The River Trail


A number of years ago conditions were just right for Winnipeg to create the world’s longest skating trail in the world even beating out Ottawa’s Rideau Canal.  It was a continuous skating trail along the Assiniboine River which extended from Assiniboine Park in the west end of Winnipeg to downtown at the Forks.
I never got the chance to skate it.  There are a few reasons; that particular winter was bitterly cold, my youngest was still skating with a chair and unable to go long distances and I couldn’t find anyone else willing to skate the whole 9.3 KM length with me.  Time went by and winter slowly came to an end along with skating for the year.  
That was in 2008, since then the ice conditions haven’t been quite right to re-create that length.  High water levels, warm weather, snow at just the wrong time anything that can make ice into an unsafe or un-skate able surface has happened.
This year conditions are looking good and a large section of the trail is open and in use.  This year conditions might allow for the entire trail to be opened.  This time I, a friend and my oldest will be skating it if it opens.  I’ve got my fingers crossed.