A White Christmas

While parts of the country are facing the prospect of a green or at the least a brown Christmas Winnipeg is absolutely covered in the white stuff.  No chance of anything but a white Christmas around here. The past few days in fact have had quite a bit of snow falling and the most gorgeous hoarfrost covering all the trees.  This type of frost is usually rather short lived, only seen first thing in the morning before the heat of the sun melts it away but this time it’s stuck around. 
We’re had a week of overcast balmy days and we are now on day 5 of being surrounded by these lovely dressed tress.  Photographs don’t really do it justice despite my best efforts….ok maybe not my best efforts but none the less there was some effort there, I just can’t capture the magical feeling that hoarfrost contributes to on a near Christmas morning.
The sight of hoarfrost, a freshly fallen carpet of snow, Christmas lights glinting all along the street and the slowly dawning sun really is quite magical.  It reaches a spot deep inside that warms you from the inside out.  You just can’t be cold when you look at such a beautiful sight. There is something about it that is just oh so comforting and peaceful.
Or perhaps this is just me waxing poetic once again about the beauty in nature.  It is after all a bit of a reoccurring theme around here. What can I say I’m a sucker for the outdoors and there is always something new to appreciate around here.  Sure I should be used to the change of seasons by now having lived in Manitoba with its extremes my entire life but inevitably the changes still hold me in awe each and every year.