Something New

I am very excitedly awaiting my KOBO e-reader which is being tracked as “out for delivery”.  I’ve already got a head start on a good collection of e-books ready to transfer over and have an e-books account for the public library.  I have used e-books a few times on either my phone or the ipad but both devices have their problems for reading on. 

My phone is fine for reading in even quite bright sunlight but the text is small and it’s not at all like reading a book, it involves a lot of scrolling which for me seems to interrupt the flow.  The ipad works great as long as you are indoors away from light so the glare doesn’t blind you. I’m hoping my new e-reader will solve both these problems.

I’ve wanted to get one for some time now so I’m a bit excited about getting it.  I have always been a big reader from the time I learnt to read and I tend to read pretty fast. On average I’ll read 3 books for every 2 weeks.  Not long ago my daughter and I both started to read the harry potter series and I finished all 7 in a 2 week period; I thought they were great books.

I can really get into a good story and I love to disappear behind the pages of a good book and become a part of another person’s story while leaving my own behind for awhile.  I have a vivid imagination and am able to see a story in my mind’s eye with amazingly clarity.

For me it’s as good as watching a movie and in many cases better then.  I’ve seen plenty of movies that have left my own idea of a book in the dust and been entirely dissimilar. Ones that have deviated from the theme or feeling of a novel entirely.

One of the most recent to drive me nuts was The Mist I absolutely hated the movie but loved the original story.  The movie ended on such a sour and unforgiving note, whereas I always find Steven Kings books including The Mist always leave me with a feeling of hope that despite terrible events the human spirit prevails.

Reading makes me think, feel a wide range of emotions and allows me to experience things I might not do in my own life.  They are a gateway to another person’s mind fictional or not and I look forward to having something that hopefully extends my reading experience to another level.