Writing Challenge #6

Describe doing a simple physical activity.


I lace up my skates tighten the straps and push up from the ground standing just a little taller than usual ready to move.

I start off slowly walking over the rough patch of gravel between the driveway and street then slowly adjust to the feeling of the bumps in the pavement as they roll under my feet.

Slowly I speed up developing a rhythm of push and glide, push and glide.

I stumble on a rock and pick up again watching ahead for the rough patches and the loose rocks scattered here and there.

I reach the smoothness of the bike path winding around Assiniboine forest and can finally push into the long glides that propel me to amazing speeds.

Suddenly I find my groove, the perfect rhythm that seems to move me forward of its own accord without conscious effort sending me forward slowly gaining more and more speed.   

I feel vitally alive my body working in perfect harmony my senses completely aware and awakened. Push, push, glide, and again and again.

The sound of my wheels hitting the pavement and the sound of cars along the road come together into a quiet whisper the sound of the wind all I hear.

My wheels now barely seem to touch the ground as the cool wind pours over my face encouraging me to go faster and faster.

Every worry every problem is left behind as my focus turns in towards keeping my movements even and the physical demand to push forward.

I lift my face up to the setting sun stretch my arms out to either side and suddenly I find I can fly.

I begin to slow my pace as I come back around the forest back to the rougher pavement of our street, refreshed and warm my body and mind at peace.

As I step back over the gravel section of our driveway I sigh days of tension escaping along with it. I take off my skates and put them away. Walking back into the house I feel as if my feet are still gliding along.   


I love to skate whether on ice skates or rollerblades and it’s a unique sensation which I love. I went for a very nice skate last night with this challenge floating around in my head and it made for a perfect fit today.