Disposable Camera

I’m dropping what is happening Wednesdays.  It just doesn’t work for me so until I figure out something else I might like to put here a regular rambling it is.
The last couple of days have been a flurry of activities as our oldest prepared for her school camp trip. She is now off duffle bag and sleeping bag in tow looking forward to a new experience.
One of the last orders of business last night was to buy her a disposable camera as they have requested no digital (read expensive) cameras be brought.  When I sat down to label it I realized that she has never used a film camera in her life. 
She was about 3 years old when I switched over to a digital camera so she probably doesn’t remember me using a film camera either, in fact I barely remember it seems. When I showed her how to use it I had to think about it for a few moments.
She does own a camera of her own but it is a simple point and shoot and doesn’t even have a viewfinder on it. She did seem to understand the differences when I explained it to her and will probably get some nice pictures but it won’t surprise me in the least if she comes home with a few double exposed shots or cut off heads as well.
The fact that she couldn’t see her photos as she took them or delete unwanted ones surprised her. When I told her how many shots she had she couldn’t help but complain “that’s it?”,  She’s never had to limit the number of shots she’s taken and it’s a completely new concept.
The changes in photography between now and even a decade ago are absolutely remarkable. It’s true of a lot of other things as well but it seems we adjust and forget quickly until forced to use an older method of doing something.
I know the idea that I’m going to have to take this film in to get developed and not know what I’m going to get back until they’re done seems completely foreign to me.  Was it really almost a decade ago since I last had to do that?  It seems like just yesterday.