Tournament

I’ve been trying to find something going on this week in Manitoba and I have to say I got nothing.  It isn’t that there is nothing going on it is simply that there is nothing going on that really sparks an interest for me. 
Well there is the official return of NHL hockey to Winnipeg as announced Tuesday morning but I think I’ve already covered that one. The only difference is now I can actually believe that it is happening.
Even in the event there was something that really interests me it wouldn’t really make a difference as personally I already have a very busy week and weekend planned and can’t think about anything else.   
This week taking up a good portion of our schedule is soccer with a 4 day tournament rounding off the week.  I know not necessarily an interest to most but that is where my focus lies for the week.
It is the 20th anniversary of the Children’s Hospital soccer tournament and there will be a huge turnout of teams, last year the tournament hosted 165 teams and this year it is expected to host an even larger number.
It has apparently been a great success over its 20 year run having raised over $200,000 for the hospital foundation while providing an excellent challenge for youth soccer players.
The teams come from all over Manitoba and a portion of western Ontario.  My oldest will be playing and I’m sure she will enjoy a chance to watch some of the older groups and their moves as well.   
Tournaments are a great way to keep kids excited about sports, the possibility of winning a trophy or even simply a medal for participation makes it all a little more fun and gives them something to strive for.
Even though we teach our kids that winning isn’t everything there is still room for competition. 
Teaching them the value in preparing to compete and in playing your best can provide a motivation that simple play without that element of healthy competition cannot.
Losing may never be fun but with the right mind set it isn’t the end of the world and they will remember having played fondly regardless of what color medal they bring home.
As it has been said many times; it is better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all.