A Meeting

He peeked through the layers of bush at the girl who had come rushing so suddenly towards the pond with tears streaming down her face. She was a beautiful girl with pale clear skin and ribbons in her fiery red hair. She wore a wonderful dress of the most remarkable golden color.  It was streaked with bits of dirt and leaves were caught up along the hem.
“I hate you Sean McArdle” she whispered vehemently a few minutes later still sniffing. She sat up a little straighter and scooted closer to the edge of the pool. She reached into the small basket she carried removing a handkerchief and dipping it into the water.
He watched in silence as with a sigh she began to rub at the streaks of dirt and pick off the bits of leaves clinging to her dress. He leant over to keep her in sight as she moved around a small stick suddenly cracking under his weight.
“Who’s there?” She called out straightening; her eyes suddenly clear as they searched along the edge of the surrounding wood “I see you there, why are you hiding in the bush watching me?” He eased his way up to his full height as her eyes stayed on him.
“I suppose you think I’m caught now do you, lass?”He questioned
“You’re a leprechaun” She said in wonder as he drew himself up to his full height and walked out of the brush. Her eyes were wide and round as she looked down at him “You really are aren’t you?”
“Aye” He answered
“Have I caught you then?” She asked
“Aye” he answered once again.”I must grant you three wishes”
“I don’t want three wishes, my father says wishes are for those who do not do for themselves” She answered.
“Your father is either very wise or very foolish then” responded the small man.
“Wise” she answered with a smile “Is this where you live?”
 “Aye” He answered cautiously “why were you crying?”
“Some of the boys in town do not like me.” She answered “My father owns much of the land around here and so they are jealous.  One of them pushed me in the dirt, made me drop the flowers I’d been picking”
“What’s your name?”
“Aileen Finnegan, what’s yours” she asked
“I am just a leprechaun I have no name”
“Well that’s a pity, what then should I call you?”
“No one has ever asked me that. I do not know “He paused thinking carefully”Perhaps Goban I have heard this name for one us before”
“Alright Goban it is my pleasure to meet with you on this fine day” She said curtsying before him.
“And you” Goban answered bowing. She sat back down by the water’s edge her eyes drifting back to the water.
The leprechaun stared at her; she had turned her eyes from him willingly releasing him from her. Perhaps she really did not want a wish. He hesitated he knew he should run it was against the nature of a leprechaun to stay with a human willingly. She didn’t want his wishes “Do you want my gold?” he asked suddenly.
She glanced back at him “why would I want your gold, you worked for it not I.”
Goban sat down beside her staring at the water.  “You are a most unique girl Aileen”
A voice rang out from a distance “Oh that is my mother I must go home. Will you move on now or may I come to see you again?”
“I think….I will stay here, if you will not tell anyone about me”
“Ok I will keep it secret, maybe we can talk I would like to know what you are like, I’ve never met a leprechaun.” Aileen said hopefully”I’ll bring some sweet cakes for us to share.”
“I will stay”
Aileen gave him a broad smile and a small wave as she turned towards the calling voice
“Aileen wait” said Gorban “Your flowers” he said snapping his fingers with a smile.
A beautiful bouquet of wildflowers even nicer then the bunch she has picked and lost appeared at her feet. “Thank you Gorban, I look forward to our next meeting”
“As do I” Gorban responded slightly bewildered at the odd turn of events.