The Stuff Trap

It seems lately that the revolving door which is my minds thought process has been allowing stuff to take a few too many trips. Too much stuff, stuff I want, stuff to organize, stuff to sell, stuff to buy, stuff to fix, stuff to clean up, stuff that is just in the way.
Spring is the cause I know, each year at around this time stuff begins to prey on my mind, dogging my steps and irritating the heck out of me.   I’m a very organized person, often almost to the point of being obsessed and it certainly isn’t because I particularly enjoy organizing. 
So why then? I just feel better having a space for everything, I feel lighter, refreshed and clear headed.  The less I have to think about cleaning the less stress I have.  If all of that little stuff has a home it is simple to put away and doesn’t eat up huge chunks of my day.  Less stuff and organized stuff is simply much more peaceful.  
I became aware of how much more calm I feel when I’m not left wondering where I put something or staring at a pile of stuff a long time ago and so ever since I have endeavored to always have everything in its place.
That’s not to say I let it intrude on other aspects, a sink full of dishes or dog hair all over the floor will not prevent me from going out or just spending time with friends or family. Knowing where each item belongs means that when I do get around to it the task has been simplified.
I know where I’ll find the broom; I know where I’ll find a new sink sponge or extra dish detergent, or a cleaning cloth because it is in its place.
Regardless of how organized I am in my everyday life every once in awhile the amount of stuff I have exceeds the places I have to put it in.  When that happens the stuff trap begins and so I re-evaluate everything particularly those things left in storage and try to remove as much of it as I can. In the process I feel the weight of the un-needed stuff lifted from my shoulders.
I simply don’t like clutter it preys on my mind a tiny niggling irritation I often can’t shake.  By today’s standards we have a small home and so even a small amount of extra stuff feels like a lot.
When I find myself lamenting that I wish we had more space it is time for a big clean. The joy I get from where our home is located and the people who live in it, the people who visit it, and the things which are nearby are worth more than any amount of stuff or space to store it in.