Shape Wise

I’ve never been exactly out of shape and I’ve always been fairly content with how I look as well as my level of activity.  In anticipation of trying something new and going back to something old I’ve decided to give myself a bit more of a challenge.
In part I suppose it’s to see if I can still do it, to see if my efforts over the years have actually kept me in good shape or if I’m fooling myself simply because I am and always have been slender.  A lot of people don’t realize that you can be slender and completely out of shape.  While I don’t believe I’ve ever been completely out of shape there have been a few times where it was coming close.
The something new I’m not ready to share as I’m just beginning to explore it and it remains little more than an idea for now as for the something old; dragon boat.  Practice starts in about a month and last year our team placed in the top 6 out of over a hundred teams. It was quite a shock to all of us who had thought we’d done poorly and thanks to the success of last year we want to do even better this year.
Well now, the hard part is in figuring out what I can add into my routine that is a bit more of a challenge, mostly because of time restrictions.  I do yoga three times a week and strength training two times a week in what is my one and only real time to do something.  The rest of my day is filled with plenty to keep me busy or focused on the kids.
With that in mind I’m thinking of getting up just a little bit earlier so that rather than just having enough time for a leisurely walk with the dog I could be having a run with him instead.  Running has never been my forte, I can run fast for a short sprint but my stamina quite frankly sucks. So ok running for stamina there is one way to challenge myself.
 Another thing I can do is make it habit to go for a family bike ride as often as possible over the summer.  It’s been a long time since we’ve been able to bike as a family since my youngest outgrew the carrier and couldn’t yet ride a two wheeler. For her birthday we bought a tag-a-long bike which attaches to mine making my bike into a sort of tandem bike.
I think just those two things will make a big impact on my fitness level but still there is more.  I want to be fit mind, body and soul.  
So body is covered and this, my blog, exercises my soul as does my day to day life in countless little ways.  So that’s two down one to go; mind.  I’ve signed up for lumosity and along with my penchant for Sudoku think that should provide plenty of exercise for my mind.  I’d also like to find some way to get a little math practice in as it’s always been a weak point for me.  Haven’t yet figured out how on that point although the lumosity program does contain a bit of math.
So I thought I would share what my focus is for now and there it is, I let you know how I’m doing in a few weeks.