Technology Fights Back

Listening to music last night while I did some housework I made the discovery that my music had somehow gotten messed up and I’d lost a number of songs.  Now this is the one way in which I kind of miss having a physical copy of my music.
Losing a song as a kid would have meant I’d broken a cassette or CD, nothing much you can do when that would happen but at least you KNEW the song, indeed album, was gone.  This is not so straightforward.  What is missing from my play list is any song purchased as an MP3 in the past 6 months or so.  These songs don’t have a physical hard copy they are only in digital format and I’ve no idea how they just disappeared.
I know that they exist somewhere on the computer but it would be so much easier if there was simply a physical copy I could actually see and know is there if in my bumbling efforts I just make things worse.  I am most definitely not the techy one in our house; that would be my husband, although I know he’s experienced this same issue.
Now as I was worried about doing I have indeed managed to make an even bigger mess of things. In addition to missing songs, I’m missing all of my ring tones and having had to open itunes under a different profile and now unable to get it to close so that I can reopen it with my profile.  
I know what the problem is with not being able to close the program as it has developed a bit of a bugga boo about closing when any ipod, iphone or ipad is within range of the wi-fi.  With the number of these devices floating around our house that means several are always in range but I’ve learnt to work around and solve that issue.  I also know that the ring tones were recently moved to a new folder and that’s why they’ve gone missing.     
So those parts are easy fixes but I’m still unsure of what to do about the songs I’m missing. Oh and once I figure out what’s gone wrong with the music on my phone I have to find out why the same thing has happened on my daughters phone and most likely have to fight with it as well.
The convenience of everything carried on one small device isn't feeling quite so convenient today.