A Wandering I Went

I had a very nice weekend, besides getting a lot of things done and getting the opportunity to play with the girls in the snow I also did something I don’t recall having done in years; I spent time by myself.
 A had a birthday party to attend on Saturday morning E had a soccer game and Tim had an appointment so we had all gone our separate ways. A’s party was at the Childrens museum beside the Forks and I took her to that.  Since the party lasted only two hours I knew that going home wasn’t really an option as I would get home only to have to leave straight away to pick her up again.
I decided I would stick around the Forks and do some Christmas shopping.  Well my plans were foiled as it turns only the market and coffee shops are actually open at 10 the rest of the shops open at 11 or later.  I wasn’t food shopping so that meant I had about an hour with absolutely nothing to do.
It seems I always have something to do so this was rather unique, normally if I’m not actively doing one thing or another I’m thinking about what comes next.  Even if I sit down or do something relaxing it is usually interrupted or I can’t help but think of what I could be getting done.
This time I had no options but to spend an hour doing nothing and since it was a very nice morning, not too cold with freshly fallen snow covering the ground I decided to go for a walk.  I grabbed myself a latte from one of the coffee shops and headed out to wander around the freshly cleared pathways enjoying the peace of a quiet morning.
It was quite lovely with no wind cooling the air and big fluffy flakes still drifting down.  It was such a novel experience to simply walk with no destination in mind and no purpose.  There were very few people wandering about and everything seemed to be calm and drawn out.  
I didn’t worry about the other things I could be doing or what else needed to be done that weekend and just walked. I stopped on the bridge to watch the water flow along the river and found quiet in my own mind and heart.  
 Eventually the shops did open and I finished my latte and headed back indoors my cheeks a little rosy but my heart also a little bit lighter. I found some nice Christmas gifts and slowly worked my way back over to the museum where A waited for me with a smile and a bit of icing on her face.