First snow

Well it’s now pure ice outside with the temperature just right for this first bit of snow to melt and then freeze into a nice smooth clear sheet of ice.
It’s the kind of surface that teaches you very quickly that anyone can in fact do the splits. Perhaps not without a few tendons, ligaments or hey even bones snapping but it can definitely be done.
It’s turns us all into clutching toddlers, desperate to stay upright and more than willing to take out the nearest bystander if it prevents you from ending up on your own ass.  I think at this point strapping on a pair of skates may be a better idea than even the most rugged of winter boots.
I’m sure by mid-morning with the daytime temperatures still hovering above zero the ice will mostly melt away and hopefully dry up so things won’t be quite as slippery come tomorrow morning.
Until then I must remember to tread softly while I search out the scraper for the car.  Every year I promise I will put it in the car before the first snowfall and every year I do it right after.
The moving around of snow is my least favorite winter task unless I’m doing it to build a fort with the kids.  As of this morning shovels and snow blowers aren’t yet necessary but I will take this as a warning and move those things from the shed to the garage.
If there is still some snow hanging around at the end of the day perhaps I’ll take the kids out for a bit of a snowball fight. Now playing in it is something I do like about snow.