Big Top, Big Fun

As members of the Manitoba Museum my family tends to visit fairly often.  It’s always a nice way to spend a cold or rainy afternoon and in recent years there have been quite a few improvements so there is often something new to see.

One of the best improvements in my opinion is that Alloway Hall is now being used. It used to sit empty the majority of the time but is now always filled with an interesting traveling exhibit many of which seem to focus on learning through play, for both children and adults alike.
The one currently running is called Science under the big top and is of course about the circus.  It includes a lot of fun things to try out including aerial acrobatics and tight rope walking. Despite signs and volunteers encouraging adults to join in the fun and try these things out very few did.
I noticed a lot of adults who would look up at others enjoying the experience with an expression of longing yet be unable to bring themselves to try. It seemed embarrassment and a worry about what others might think watching them is what stopped most of these people.
I think it’s sad to see how many people let concerns about what others might (and probably wouldn’t) think that they deny themselves something fun. Something I’m sure they will very rarely have the opportunity to do.   
I did give both exhibits a try and had lots of fun doing them both. I may even have elicited a few outright laughs with my attempts but it was all in good fun there was nothing malicious about it. Just because there were others watching didn't mean it was any less fun or that it wasn't worth the risk of a bit of embarrassment.
The tightrope was actually fairly easy to do even though I really wasn’t wearing the best of shoes for it. It seems you walk more on the ball of your foot when on a tightrope so my heels didn't catch that badly but still they set me off balance a couple of times. It isn’t the first time I’ve tried tightrope walking though so that may have also made a difference.
The aerial acrobatics on the other hand were much harder than I expected.  It takes quite a lot more effort to manage a mid-air flip than I thought it would. I think the hardest part is getting past the mental hurdle that being upside down ten feet in the air brings. It is really hard to fight your instinct to grab onto something and trust that the harness will in fact hold you up.  I took me about a half dozen tries to actually get all the way over but it was a lot of fun to do.