Hand-me-Down or Heirloom

Well I managed to get an awful lot of stuff done this weekend including finishing a project that has been on my mind for some time.  The idea for this came around a few months back when my youngest saw a dressing table while we were shopping and she told me how much she would like to have it for her room.
It made me think about the dressing table which had been in my room growing up. Having been quite the tomboy I had never really appreciated it and I had been quite happy to leave it behind when I left home without a second thought.
I knew it was still floating around my parents basement so it occurred to me that A might like to have it for her room. The more I thought about it the better it sounded particularly when I asked her if she would like it and she positively squealed in delight.
I also came to realize that it would be a little bit more than just a second hand dresser. This dressing table had wound it's way down to me over the years having originally been my grandmothers purchased when she and my grandfather married. 
From there it eventually became my mothers and then mine in turn. I realized looking at it from this perspective that after three generations it has now become somewhat of an heirloom rather than a mere hand-me-down.
When I next looked at it I realized it would need to be refinished, it had become fairly beaten up over the years, chipped, scratched and dull.  I was a little unsure of doing it but I brought it home and over the past week I've taken it apart, sanded and refinished the dresser and also reupholstered the stool with white silk trimmed in lace.
I think it turned out quite well and for a dressing table that is over seventy years old it doesn't look bad at all. Admittedly it still isn’t really my style and it certainly looks quite old fashioned but I do also see its appeal to a girl like A who enjoys pretty feminine things. She really does seem to like it and with her white canopy bed it suits her room quite well.