Planning a Head Start

This weekend I have every intention of starting to figure out Christmas shopping and planning.  It seems that every year I start preparing for Christmas earlier and earlier.  The reason of course is the phenomenon which seems to be making time go by so much faster as I get older.
It also seems we add more and more yearly events to our calendar each year that become something that we must do and I know I'll only truly enjoy myself if everything is organzied and I'm not thinking of what still needs to get done.
Starting now will also help me avoid baking at midnight or having to face the madness of a holiday shopping crowds.

pumpkin cookies with maple glaze

Mind you it may just be an excuse to start making some of my favorite baking and sample it before freezing it.  As I was baking cupcakes last night it occurred to me just how much I actually do bake in the fall and winter months.  
I bake for special occasions, holidays, guests for diner, because I’m snacky or for any other reason I can think of once the change of seasons has hit. It seems as soon as Halloween is over we don’t visit friends without a tin of cookies and treats in tow or have people over without serving a plate of yummy little tidbits.
Just cupcakes


I always start out on a pumpkin kick and I make pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies and of course pumpkin seeds.  Most of these are actually quite healthy recipes and very little harm is done however the pumpkin kick leads into Halloween cupcakes and other treats which are not so good for you, see the cupcakes to the right. 

That in turn leads into Christmas baking with tarts and squares and cookies and gingerbread everywhere.  Also of course what has become a party favorite mini-pies.  These pies are a little bigger than my regular tarts and can be pumpkin, apple, blueberry, raspberry, lemon meringue or any other I can think of.  
I really shouldn't write when I'm hungry, time for a cupcake.


Mini apple pies