Quinzhee

Each year I make the girls a quinzhee. I enjoy making it not just for the girls but because I still get a kick out of playing around in the snow.  It's also one of the things left that will bring out the kid in my "I'm not a little kid anymore" 12 year old.

It wasn't such an easy task this year seeing as we have had very little snow and much of what we have had has melted away on one of our many warm days.  I do it every year though and so I had to try. The pile of snow to make our quinzhee this year makes up about 90% of the snow in our backyard. In many places I've cleared the snow all the way to the grass in order to get a big enough pile to build with.

I guess this is one of those things I got from my Dad, he used to build great forts and tunnels when I was a little girl that I recall as being wonderful snow palaces and intricate sculptures.  Imagination and the wonderment of being a little girl may be exaggerating reality a little but they're good memories.

I hope my forts and sculptures are remembered with as much fondness.