Former Mayor (of Boston) Kevin White's wake is being held while I write this. Having lived and/or worked in Boston my entire life, I have an affection for all things Boston. I also have an appreciation for history and for those that contribute to our history by servicing the citizens of Boston. Kevin White was one of those people.

With the cloud of the Penn State/Sandusky/Paterno scandal still hanging, I think it is important to recognize men like Kevin White who have used their positions solely for the purpose of good.

The excerpt below from a boston.com article tells a simple but powerful story about the city administration while White was mayor.


From boston.com:

Catherine Sexton, 80, of East Boston, was not one of the political elite, but she was in line this afternoon just the same. Some 30 years ago, she said, in the 1970s, the White administration showed up at her house and put a curb cut in front of it, which was a boon to her teenage son who used a motorized wheelchair.

“They just rang our doorbell and told us that they saw we had a need. They came without being asked; it’s something I’ll never forget,” she said.

She said she had taken the Blue Line to the wake today, but “I would have walked here if I had to.”