A Mystery

Many buildings in Winnipegs exchange district have a uniqueness to them.  They are almost exclusively older buildings and the architecture of some is absolutely stunning.  Many of these buildings also have little stories behind them, nuggets of "oh that's neat" to discover.  Well I'm currently searching for one of those little nuggets as my curiosity has been sparked. My husband often visits a place called Assentworks, a great non-profit maker space which is located on Adelaide Ave.  Adelaide is known to be the western boundary of the exchange district. While dropping some things off there over the weekend I noticed something odd a little further up.  This building is at the corner of Adelaide and McDermot Avenues and with a quick glance one would think it was simply at some point in time a police station and nothing more.  Take a closer look at the sign over this particular doorway though and you see the real mystery.  

Toronto City Police
Station 4

Say what? Now being that I took this picture with my feet (or at least my wheels) firmly planted in Winnipeg where exactly does Toronto city police fit in?  So far I'm no closer to answering that question than when I first saw it. Rumor has it that it was for a film some years ago and that the signage was simply never taken down which yes does make sense but what film and what is the actual history behind this building? I can find a fair amount of historical information information on every other building surrounding it but not even a footnote about this little oddity and so the search continues.