Picture This

I am by no stretch of the imagination a great photographer, I do enjoy taking pictures and between my husband and I we have managed some pretty nice shots over the years many of which are displayed around the house.
One of my favorite picture groupings is two collage frames filled with pictures of the girls as babies.   I always love to stop and see how even in these very early pictures you can see how very different their personalities are despite their similar looks.
When I put these collections of pictures together I recall having had a difficult time.  What I had an issue with was not only deciding which pictures to use, but which pictures I was willing to cut in order to fit the many differently sized frames.
With my youngest it’s not an issue, her baby pictures are all digital format and so they can be printed and reprinted and reprinted.  My oldest however arrived a few years before the advent of digital cameras and so in many cases a picture only exists as that one and only photo. 
Cutting a picture which can’t be re-printed means you better be darn sure that’s the one you want.  It’s something that’s bothered me and has more than once prevented me from using a picture I wanted to use.
Another advantage I noticed with digital copies is digital picture frames.  While setting up a new one for my Dad recently I realized how odd it seemed to have pictures of my youngest from infancy to current age while my oldest simply seems to pop into existence at about the age of 3.
As digital pictures and uses for them become more common I think the time has come to start scanning pictures and so I’ve begun what I’m discovering is a much larger task than expected.  I figure if I’m scanning pictures I may as well scan any and all pictures I have.  It makes for some pretty formidable stacks.