Oscar The Grouch


I’m reminded today of a book which for a very long time was the favorite of my youngest.  I can still recite it line for line and word for word.  It is a sesame street book called Happy and Sad, Angry and Glad and begins like so…. 
Oh welcome oh welcome to our little play, we are ever so glad you could join us today.
We are going to talk about feelings and so please open the curtain and on with the show.
I didn’t need the book for that, in fact I could keep going and in my head each respective characters voice would come to life in my head along with the words.  Anyways my point, I know I had one somewhere…..Ahh yes feelings. 
Specifically that we are all allowed to have happy, sad, angry and glad days.
I’ve noticed recently a trend towards the idea that any down in the dumps days signifies there is something more than just being down in the dumps.  That if you live a decent life where nothing is life threateningly wrong that you should be happy every single moment of every single day.
Now really that just isn’t realistic. In fact if you were to be happy as punch without ever a down moment you would be called manic. Everything including our happiness level needs balance and sometimes a down day is nothing more than your body saying “look we’ve been having some fun but give me a REST!”
It doesn’t have to mean anything more.  I spent the first two days of this week sick as a dog and am now just exhausted. This morning kicked off with the realization that it was garbage day and the garbage was not at the curb, I stubbed my toe, I burnt my tongue and bit my cheek instead of my bagel and that was just in the first 20 minutes.
I’m not having a good day and in response I’m feeling a little grouchy.  At first this grouchiness made me feel even worse because I have no REASON to be a grouch. Sitting down to write my post today I had no motivation, no energy; my muse had gone absent, all because I was feeling bad about feeling bad.
For the first time since I began writing this blog I thought to myself, “fuck it I’m not going to bother” but you know what, no that isn’t me. I do this for me and whether it’s a grouchy day or a happy day, or even a grouchy week it’s ok. 
So here’s my post, grouchiness and all.  Oscar can be my muse for the day. So thank you for sharing my feelings today.