On (and off) the beam.

The title of this post refers to the spiritual beam, not the balance beam we have been hearing about the past several days.

In the past I have prouded myself on being “on the beam” spiritually. Unfortunately, when I am off the beam, I do not even realize it. Life takes over and I get caught up with making a few extra dollars or I get overly concerned about keeping up with how others perceive me. I suddenly cannot find the time to pray, meditate or take a deep breath and clear my mind.

Today, out of nowhere, the serenity prayer entered my mind. It was just what I needed:

God Grant Me the Serenity


To Accept the Things I Cannot Change


Courage to Change the Things I Can


And the Wisdom to Know the Difference


For me, the things I cannot change = other people.  And the things I can change = myself.

I certainly hope I am moving toward more serenity and less mental chaos.  

In other news...I've been having fun over the past few months spending some alone time with Allie, Anna and Emily.  Here's a picture from our outing yesterday: