Generations

I’ve never quite understood the need to define oneself as belonging to one specific generation or another however the thought did occur to me that I have no idea which I supposedly belong to.  After doing a bit of reading up on the subject I’m really not much closer to the answer than I was before.
See I’m born somewhere in between.  There are many differing timelines for when Gen X ended and Gen Y began.  Some have the switch from X to Y start as early as 1975 and others as late as 1985.  An entire decade that is without a definitive answer as to which generation it belongs to.
 See like many born in this decade I don’t feel quite old enough to be a part of Gen X and yet I also don’t seem to be young enough to be a part of Gen Y. My mindset seems to fit more with Gen X but again there are a few points here and there which could be considered a Gen Y trait.
So which is it then?
I think for those born in that ill-defined decade from 75-85 we have to decide for ourselves, on an individual basis, which one we “belong” too.  I’m sure for some the answer will never be clear as their life experiences straddle the line between one and the next.  For some there will always be points which bring them closer to each side of the divide.
Those born in this decade perhaps are the divide.
I’m sure the same happened between baby boomers and Gen X and is once again happening as Gen Y becomes whatever is next.  Those born in the few years in which one generation fades to the next will always be ill-defined.  Born in between we will always be those who are slightly off kilter, not quite a round or square peg.
Generation XY perhaps.