Calmed

It’s been a remarkably calm week, which is weird since it was also a very busy week.  I’ve stayed relatively stress free because I’ve decided to just stop giving a damn. Not about everything no, but about the little things that don’t really affect me. That irritate just because they irritate.
I’ve still been doing all my work, my chores and errands, attending meetings, doing the soccer and school thing but I’ve stopped worrying about things that are outside of my control.  I’ve realized that I always do the best that I can in everything I do and I can’t do anything more than that.
What other people do or don’t do is not my problem and I don’t have to let it bug me.  It doesn’t change my efforts or discount them in any way I can let these things bother me or I can be proud that at least I do them.   
Just as an example I’m coaching soccer this year and I began the arduous task of trying to get a response from the parents of all the kids on my team.  I sent the first e-mail of the week early Tuesday morning specifically requesting number/name preferences for jerseys.  I made it clear if I didn’t hear back they wouldn’t be getting a name (we need parent permission) and a random number. 
Now for 8 year olds the number on the back of their jersey can be of great importance to these kids. It certainly has been for both my kids and all their friends over the years. I’ve however only heard from 2 parents and the deadline was yesterday.
Rather than let this irritate me and cause me worry about the kids whose parents haven’t responded which is what I would normally do I just went ahead with my plans. Arranged to have the jerseys done with what is available to me and to hell with those who couldn’t take a minute to respond to an e-mail.
Instead of being cranky and upset about the lack of time and effort it seems some parents put into their children’s activities I’m just going to be proud that I do put in that time and effort.  I’ve said this before that I need to stop worrying about what others do but this is the first time I’ve really done it. 
I’ve finally really realized that what I do should matter more to me than what others don’t do. I must say it’s actually quite a relief.