A Maybe

I hate glasses.  Vehemently despise wearing them.  It’s seems as if they are always dirty, I’m not careful with them and so they are often bent and they never feel comfortable.  I don’t like the way they look and I’m also finding now that reading or doing anything up close is difficult.
It’s only been in the last couple of years that the reading issue has popped up.  I can no longer read wearing glasses and find myself tipping my head back and peeking under them or even worse pulling them down my nose and looking over the top.  Both of those methods feel like something only a grandmother should be doing.
For the most part I wear contacts day in and day out the only time I wear glasses is if I’m going to bed, just got up from bed, am feeling sick, or am feeling crappy. As contacts have always been comfortable for me I never really considered changing anything about how I correct my truly awful vision.
That was until about two years ago when I scratched my cornea with something caught under the lens. The result was that I had to wear glasses for a few weeks to allow it to heal.  I now find contacts do bother me from time to time and I need to give my eyes a regular break. I’m also always worrying that I’ll have the same problem and cause permanent damage.     
What I discovered through having to rely on glasses more often is that I still can’t stand wearing them. Seeing that I’ve been wearing glasses since the mid-80’s I also realize it’s likely I never will be comfortable in them.
I have, as most people with really bad eyesight have done, considered laser eye surgery.  Well the first time I considered it was years ago when it was still fairly new and its safety remained in question.  It also wasn’t cheap and the idea of a laser cutting into my eye just creped me the hell out.
My reliance and comfort with contacts also made it quite easy to dismiss.  The lack of comfort I’ve developed since scratching my cornea though has brought it back into my consideration.  Without checking to see it if the price had changed however I continued to dismiss it as too expensive.
Well two weeks ago when we had the unfortunate need of an ambulance I looked through our insurance book to see if we were fully covered for ambulance service (yes)and I found laser eye surgery on the list of partially covered services.  
So this morning I finally got around to checking what the price of Lasik is and found that the price has actually dropped dramatically.  Taking into account that our insurance plan covers a portion the price is now actually comparable to the cost of a two year supply of contacts.
Maybe, if I can get over the creepy factor, it’s time to lose the glasses permanently.