Bugging Out

Last week I took a look at an orchid I was given some time ago to see if I could save it from the black thumb of death it was being squashed under. Well I don't believe the plant has any hope of making a comeback I did however find something interesting. A bug and very specifically a bug I'd never seen before. 

After some research I discovered it is called an assassin bug from south/central america.  It obviously hitched a ride on the plant and was surviving on it.  So what to do with a non native and somewhat interesting looking bug.

My youngest has a fascination with insects and her favorite activity in the summer is to capture and examine whatever she can get her hands on and successfully into a container without killing it to examine it more closely.  So into a container to examine more closely it is.

So far I've learnt that it is a very aptly named insect, I wouldn't have wanted to be the little spider that found it's way into this bugs new home anyways.