Helpless

Last year during soccer playoffs my daughter was injured on the field and I had lamented on how it is the worst moment for any sports parent.  Well that injury was a broken wrist and severe enough but I discovered last night that I was wrong.  There is a much worse sporting moment as a parent.
Last night about ten minutes into the second half she dropped to the ground.  I didn’t see what had happened but I was called onto the field moments later.  I got a few steps toward her before I heard how she was crying and then I RAN. It quickly became clear she would not be walking off the field and even more alarmingly that she wasn’t able to be carried off.
Since it seemed we couldn’t move her without causing her a great deal of pain or possibly injuring her further I called 911.  As soon as the 911 operator answered I discovered that I was not as calm as I was trying to appear to be and quickly handed off the phone to another parent so I could focus where every instinct was telling me to focus; on her.
The time between calling emergency services and the wait until they arrived were by far the worst moments I’ve ever experienced.  She was shivering uncontrollably, hyperventilating, in terrible pain and absolutely terrified.  All I could do was stroke her hair and try to get her to breathe calmly and tell her that I wasn’t going anywhere. She was looking to me for help and I was completely helpless to do so. 
When we were leaving with the ambulance I finally looked up from her and back at the field.  It wasn’t until then that I saw, even though the game had by then been called, that no one had left. Many of the girls on her team were crying and although I certainly felt bad for all the girls I also felt very grateful for their and their parents’ silent support in those awful moments.
I was grateful for those who had lent blankets and helped me to get our things together and get the car home so that I could go with her in the ambulance and have my husband still able to meet us at the hospital.  I honestly have no recollection of who I asked to do what. I only know that those I asked for help did so without hesitation.  
She did not as had been suspected dislocate her hip but did tear ligaments and is going to have a long recovery.  She is still in terrible pain today and will need a lot more care than usual as she hobbles her way around on crutches for an undetermined amount of time.  Only time will tell how long and difficult her recovery will be but hopefully she doesn’t suffer any long term effects.
Being helpless to help her was by far a worse experience to the broken wrist of last year.  I hope to never again face an experience like this one has been.