A Pet tail

We were watching a family movie last night all cuddled up on the couch wrapped up in blankets.  The dog sees the cat curled up in my daughters lap with us and decides he wants in on the action.  Now he knows that he is not allowed on the couch but he does his best to sneak up.  He starts out with his chin on my knee and sucker that I am to those puppy eyes will acknowledge him and allow him to give me his version of a hug. He puts his front paws over my shoulders and cuddles his head under my chin while keeping his back paws on the floor. Technically at this point he’s not on the couch.  Then oh so slowly he pulls up one back paw then the other until all of a sudden I find him sitting in my lap with his happy grin looking extremely pleased with himself.  How he thinks I won’t notice that I suddenly can’t see the movie or that I now have 60 lbs of furball in my lap I don’t understand.  He’s so proud of himself that he made it onto my lap "unnoticed" that I can’t quite bring myself to kick him off at least until my legs start going numb.  He really is a sweetie but as I said he doesn’t quite qualify as a lap dog. 

Chase with his happy grin.


I was lucky enough to grow up in a house with great dogs who I remember very fondly. My husband on the other hand has always wanted a dog but had never really had one. His only experience of having a dog was one he had for a few days before it bit him in the face and a yappy maltese named Casey. In my book Casey did not qualify as a dog more of a loud little mop on legs whose sole purpose in life was to hump the leg of everyone it met.  I don't have anything against small dogs just the ones like Casey who would bite the hand that feeds them and then pee in the middle of your bed for good measure.  

We really enjoy having a dog in our house despite the fur balls, scratched floors and vet bills I can’t imagine a home without him. The friday we moved into the house we currently live in we decided to visit the Humane Society for a look. We came home with a 4 month old golden retriever cross. It wasn't really the time for a dog as our house was torn apart from renovations but I like to think it was fate.  We fell in love with him the moment we saw him and he with us.