Morning Journeys

Where we live is one of the most naturally beautiful areas of Winnipeg.  We live in the community of Charleswood which is a unique suburb which feels more rural then urban.  The community at large seems to put a premium on outdoor life and tends to be populated with rather down to earth people.   The yards are large and open, we have ditches rather than sidewalks and some streets remain unpaved gravel.  We are right on the edge of Charleswood and our street is bordered by the Assiniboine forest.   There are only homes along the west side and forest on the east, it is an amazing view. 

This morning is particularly nice, you can feel the weather changing and it is quite warm for a February day. In Winnipeg we treasure each day that shows a hint of the spring to come, the days leading up to spring are often interrupted by bouts of winter cold so we enjoy each nice day as fully as possible. 

Every morning I walk our dog, Chase, through the Assiniboine forest.  It is a very peaceful and gorgeous time of day.  The sun is resplendent hanging just over the horizon providing everything with an ethereal glow.  The only sounds are the birds and the soft crunch of my footfalls on the packed snow. There is a faint buzz of cars but the sound simply blends in and reminds me of the sound of the lake and the waves in the distance.

 I often hear the hoot of a great horned owl who lives somewhere near the path I walk each morning.  It’s a unique sound and I always try to catch a glimpse of him.  He has awfully good camouflage and is pretty hard to spot.  More often than not I will see a few deer foraging for food and they will watch me as I approach before eventually deciding to run off with a flick of their ears.  It is amazing how softly they move through the trees considering their size.

I love my morning walks even when we are experiencing a bitter cold snap.  There isn’t a better way to wake up then to the sounds and sights of nature.  Each morning I walk away from our busy lives for a few moments and take in a deep breath of fresh air and am able to prepare for the day ahead.  It is a whole new world when I walk through that first arch of trees. I know when I return from that world that it is never far away and at any time I can go back and feel renewed once again.