Valentine's day

Well I’m having a cranky morning. Woke up at about 4 am last night and never really got back to sleep as my husband had stolen the blankets and I was frozen solid.  Thanks dear, happy Valentine’s Day. 
Well I can’t I say I’m a great lover of Valentine’s Day anyways.  Now don’t get me wrong I’m happy to say I have a Valentine who loves me every day of the year and I don’t mind hearing it today or any other day.  I enjoy Valentine’s to some extent now, although mostly through my children and the joy they find in the day. For my husband and me it’s not very important. We don’t need a special day to express our love.
I don’t have particularly fond memories of Valentine’s Day as a child which may be why I don't feel I particularly care for the day. I won’t get into the why or why nots but I wasn’t a popular child in school and the cards I did receive were generally only from the kids whose Mothers insisted their child give a card to everyone.  At first it was always a moment of relief that I received some but it would quickly turn to embarrasment as i overheard the comment "My mom made me".  A small part of me always wanted to believe that a few were honestly given and some probably were but it is hard to remain objective as a small child and I don’t think I ever really believed it. 
Nowadays it is standard practice that if you participate in Valentine’s Day to give a valentine to everyone. I do think it’s a good policy and even if that were not standard practice my children would do so.  Even though I didn't recognize it at the time recieving those cards which may or may not have been mandatory did make a difference to me. Just like the mothers from my school days I want to teach my children that everyone deserves a bit of love and kindness.
So happy Valentine’s Day everyone.