Hey Ho!

Time for Festival Du Voyageur!  Opening night, I can hardly wait. For anyone who doesn’t know what festival du voyageur is it is a celebration of the voyageur, or fur trader and the history of the French-Canadian culture. It’s a well loved event in Winnipeg and breaks up the last stretch of winter with a bit of fun.  There is some really great entertainment, a lot of activities to watch or join in on and interesting things to see.
I love the atmosphere of festival it feels exciting and full of life. Listening to a good old fashioned jig being played you can’t help but smile. It makes you want to move your feet and clap along.  I have been known to drag others onto the dance floor for a quick spin, regardless of their dancing abilities, or lack thereof.  The tents are a warm and comfortable break between the many not so warm outdoor activities.
Walking into Fort Gibraltar where festival is held is like stepping into the past.  It is a reconstruction of the original Fort built as true to the era of the voyageur as possible.  The buildings were all built using traditional methods, and it is quite realistic. There are volunteers everywhere you look dressed up acting as characters from the early 1800’s.  It is a sea of red toques, woven sashes, HBC jackets, muskets and leather boots.
The food although not as good as my Grand mere made is traditional French foods.  Split-pea soup and tourtiere is a great winter meal. Maple syrup taffy is a well loved treat for the kids not to mention quite the instant sugar high and something my diabetic husband needs to stay far away from.  I love walking into one of the “trading posts” to the smell of the food mixed with the smell of woodchips covering the floor.  
I’m getting hungry. Think I’ll go dig up my sash so I’m all set to go once this weekend starts. See you Tuesday and remember to Célèbre la Joie De Vivre! (Celebrate the joy of life)