Writing Challenge 14

Flash Fiction prompt, taken from - doingthewritething.wordpress.com:

Imagine Opening a door in your home, or any door you've opened hundreds or thousands of times, and behind that door is not what has always been there. Instead, it opens into somewhere else.  Some other part of this world or another world entirely. 

After a long day I stepped into my bathroom a few moments ago to start the water closing the door on my way out so steam could build up.  In the few moments it took me to get undressed and gather my towels something changed. 

Opening the door again there is steam aplenty the air hot and humid.  I see a vast expanse of spongy moss and leafy plants that disappear into the mist.  Either I’m losing my mind or something extraordinary has happened here. I step backwards and close the door.

5 minutes spent staring at the door I’m still not sure if I should open it again. Looking back over my shoulder I can’t help but think how I would explain standing, staring at the closed bathroom door stark naked to my husband or one of the kids.

I slowly push the door open again to find everything completely normal. It must have been a trick of the imagination nothing was changed just my overtired brain producing some weird optical illusion.

 Stepping over the edge of the tub into the warm soothing water the aromatic bubbles popping around me I realize how silly I’m being. I just need to relax; I lean my head back take a deep breath and close my eyes trying to forget what I know I first saw opening the bathroom door.

I slip down under the bubbles further and further and still further.  What the hell? I push back up breaking the surface of what is most definitely not my bathtub but a huge watery expanse. Ok I’m not imagining this but if I’m not imagining it how exactly did this happen and where in the world am I.

I swim toward the edge of the water trying not to jump as I feel something swim past my bare legs.  At the edge I look around at the amazingly tall trees and lush forest floor surrounding me. I’m naked as a jay bird and not sure if I should get out.

Something big knocks into my legs again convincing me to get out. Crouched on the side of the water I peer into the dark misty air around me not sure what I’m looking for, a door maybe I think to myself with a nervous giggle. 

It’s quiet, quieter than I have ever heard a forest or jungle or whatever this is, a rainforest maybe?  It’s certainly hot enough. I reach over to a plant with giant leaves pulling one off and wrapping myself in it.  What kind of tree makes leaves big enough to cover a whole person in?

I hear a loud rustle right behind me as a gush of super hot air and an unbelievable putrid smell rushes over me.  I slowly turn around and scream face to face with what appears to be a giant reptile.  I close my eyes praying that next time I open them I’m safe at home in my bath or anywhere other than here.