First Flowers

The first plantings of a new season are potted or planted and in full  bloom. The gardens are full of seedlings and any day now the countless flower buds will turn into a riot of colour. The roses are just about ready to start blooming and even the raspberries are starting to flower.

I love to get my hands in the dirt and make something beautiful come out of the mess. Last year was very hard gardening with no rain and blazing hot temperatures.  Many of my flowers wilted or were eaten by hungry deer and other wildlife when the forest couldn't produce enough without rain.

There are only two things that bother me when it comes to gardening, a lack of time and the deer. The last few years have been particularly busy and so I've had to look for little time savers and resign myself to a few weeds amongst the flowers. 

The deer however are another problem entirely.  I've learnt a few tricks, I'm careful what I plant and when I do plant something I know deer enjoy I surround it by things they don't like.

The two biggest deterrents are marigolds and herbs and so my garden every year has a rather disproportionate number of them. Fresh herbs do make for tasty dinners however.

The garden season has kicked off perfectly with warm wet weather so fingers crossed that the rest of summer goes as well.