Gone Deaf

I went to see Van Halen in concert last night with my brother and my ears are still ringing.  Got home fairly late, a little after one and I’m admittedly having a bit of a hard time getting going this morning, or at least a harder time than I remember after going to concerts in my younger days. Coffee has become my best friend this morning although I can’t help think my bed would be even better.
I did enjoy the concert but it was a little different from past ones I’ve attended. I suppose the fact that Van Halen isn’t as young as it used to be nor are its fans had something to do with it.  The attendance wasn’t particularly high either and there were a lot of empty seats so the crowd was a little thin for the MTS centre.  It may have made for a better atmosphere in a smaller venue.       
I’ll be the first to admit I’m not the biggest Van Halen fan and that I may be a little grouchy from lack of sleep but it wasn’t the best concert I’ve been to.  Wasn’t the worst either and I am glad that I got the chance to go do something fun with my brother.  That alone made it worth the experience.     
I will also say that Eddie Van Halen has still got some amazing guitar skills. I think his 10 minute solo was by far the highlight of the show for me.  Diamond Dave wasn’t quite on the mark however and he reminded me of a cross between Liberace and Gary Busey.  I honestly couldn’t help but question a few times whether David Lee Roth is either certifiably insane, completely blitzed or both.  
I also just didn’t quite get how the opening act, a 70’s funk band was supposed to fit in. Don’t get me wrong there was nothing wrong with their music in fact they played quite well and I can’t deny they had a lot of energy and enthusiasm.  It did seem that they were a little out of place though.  At times during their set I couldn’t help but feel I’d stumbled into someone’s wedding reception rather than attending a rock concert.
Oh well it was fun, and I’m sure I’ll appreciate it more once the ringing in my ears dies down and I get some much needed sleep.