Just a Prairie Girl

There is nothing to see in the prairie so it’s been said, nothing but an uninterrupted expanse of farmland. Often people question why anyone would want to live here, in the flat expanse where each season has its own bit of harshness.  
Winter is brutally cold, spring brings with it yearly floods, summer is burning hot and in autumn the conditions change from moment to moment impossible to predict.
What brought my ancestors here was the promise of a new life, a new beginning along with thousands of others. They put down roots, they worked the lands and many of these families found success and the new life they had been seeking.
They found friendships and communities that worked together. They saw beauty in this wide open space with its countless lakes, rivers and streams, in the trees scattered amongst the fields and the grain elevators which dot the sky.
I have grown to love the land in which I was born and live. I rejoice in the changing seasons knowing that each day will bring something new. Someday I may leave; the call to see more of the world is there but I know in the end I will always come back.
I’m grateful for those who came before me who taught me to work hard, to help my neighbors and to see the beauty in the nature that surrounds me for endless kilometers.
Because of them I am just a prairie girl and I wouldn’t be anything else.