Garden time

I am very happy to say I’ve begun planting in the garden this weekend.  Not very much as I still have to admit to a chance of frost overnights but I love when planting begins, it really seems to mark the beginning of truly summery weather and lots of outside time.
A lot of the “summer” things have been out for a few weeks now, the trampoline, gazebo and deck furniture but we haven’t yet been able to really use them and to begin planting was out of the question.  Being overanxious just leads to weeks spent trying to force frost damaged plants to come back to life.
Just like being overanxious led to all our summer things being coated in 2 inches of snow the weekend after setting everything up.
I do actually enjoy gardening; I could do without weeds or the never ending grass poking through the brick border or the inability to get my nails clean or the constant fight to keep the deer away.  Ok maybe it’s actually the results not so much as the act but one leads to the other so…….I like parts of gardening.
Sitting in the gazebo with a book wouldn’t be the same without the scent of freshly turned earth and flowers on the air. To see the bright vibrant colors of healthy and thriving plant life is more than enough to make up for the not so pleasant gardening points.
I also tend to take a bit of perverse pleasure tricking the deer into leaving my garden alone.  
I’ve really been looking forward to filling two large planters I made late last year as I never saw what they looked like filled and with flowers.  It was simply too late in the year to plant in them when I first made them.
I’m very happy with how they turned out and I like how they look in front of the garage.  It was a perfect garden weekend and a good indication of a very bloomy summer.