NHL

Winnipeg is once again full of reports about a possible return of the NHL to Winnipeg.  It’s really nothing new talk of an NHL return has regularly made its way into the news since the demise of the Winnipeg Jets.
These reports would see Winnipeg become home to the current Atlanta Thrashers. It certainly seems more likely than not with every news agency in Winnipeg reporting it as a “done deal”.
What I don’t quite understand however is the devotion some fans have dedicated to bringing back not only the NHL but specifically the Winnipeg Jets.
The love of the Jets may still be alive and well but the Jets themselves are not.  They have been gone now for 16 seasons, very few players from that era are still playing and only one player remains with the original franchise that left Winnipeg all those years ago.  
The glory days of Bobby Hull and Dale Hawerchuck are long gone, even the old barn, home of the Jets is gone. Any NHL franchise that comes to Winnipeg will simply not be the same.
If Winnipeg does get a new franchise it should be an entirely fresh start, it’s a new arena and a new team why not a new beginning and a name to go with it.
It isn’t that I disliked the Jets I still proudly wear my Jets hat, I cheered them on over the years and I was certainly disappointed to see them go, but it has been a long time. I’m happy to simply remember the best of them and leave the rest behind.
Don’t get me wrong I would love to see an NHL team in Winnipeg, even if for no other reason than to see another Canadian team in the league and have a home team to root for but I suppose I'm simply not a big enough hockey fan to be looking forward to NHL ticket pricing.
I do watch the playoffs (great game last night) and you can bet I was screaming right along with the rest of Canada when Crosby made that already famous Olympic goal but 1 NHL ticket for the price of 4 AHL tickets doesn't compute well.
Whether a return of NHL hockey to Winnipeg is going to happen or not we’ll see in the next few days. If it does I suppose I will have to cheer on the new home team but I’m sticking with the Canucks for playoffs. Face it new team or not Winnipeg isn't likely to see playoff time in the near future either way.