A political note

Wow looks like Manitobans are going to face two disasters at once now that the red river is predicted to crest during the first few days of May.  The second disaster of course being the upcoming federal election on May 2nd.
I’m not an overly political person but I’ve always voted and try to make an informed decision.  I feel that it is not only every Canadians privilege to vote but also a responsibility.  The recent political scene has left me feeling at a loss however.
I find issues with each representative and with each of the parties at large.  Never before have I felt I am making a choice based solely on what I feel to be the lesser of two evils.  I can find no one in this back-stabbing queue for power that in any way represents the Canada I grew up in and love. Looking at the current political landscape it seems there is no party actively speaking for the Canadian people. In my mind’s eye I see a group of 6 year old kids scrambling to the top of a hill to call out I’m king of the castle and you’re the dirty rascals.
I have felt more and more in the past few years that rather than have a government focused on the good of the Canadian people and for Canada we have one which ill-represents us as a whole internationally and is focused instead on consumerism and greed.  Our international name is being sullied and we seem to be losing a vital part of what makes Canada such an amazing place. 
While our representatives bury their heads in the sand over environmental issues the true north melts.  Our open Democratic process is being undermined each time our elected parliament is blocked by our unelected senate. The disaster of the Toronto G20 showed us disrespect for the freedoms of Canadians.  As programs to lessen crime begin to prove their worth they are cut and more prisons built instead. Our farmers are struggling, or arts are losing valuable support, poverty rates are rising.  Our deficit is quickly spiraling out of control, personal taxes are raised as corporate taxes drop.
Our government appears to show nothing but contempt and disrespect for the Canadian public. Each and every Canadian who doesn’t vote or votes unaware of the current political issues simply encourages this to continue.  Please find out what is happening in our country and make your vote count.