Tech support?

My husband was trying to get an old computer running for the past couple of weeks and at this point my desk seems to have been entirely taken over by wires and hardware. I was reading while he was cursing over not getting something or another working last night.  I couldn’t help but look up and point out the problem may be related to it being a 20+ year old system.
I have absolutely no idea why getting this old Mac running is of interest to him yet it is. This out of all my husband’s interests is the one thing I absolutely don’t get.
We also have a working commodore in the closet. Why? No freaking clue. It’s been lurking in the closet ever since he got it running.  He played a few games boxed it up and hasn’t touched it since. I don’t see anything other than that happening with this one either.  He’ll get it running play around for a day or two and put it away never to see the light of day again.  Yet having these “working” systems seems to have some meaning to him. 
I’m honestly not complaining about this hobby I’m just trying to understand the motivation behind it. I’ve never looked at computers as anything more than tools and I can honestly say I have no sentimental attachment to a single electronic item. So understanding it doesn’t come easy for me.
I suppose I should just stick to the confused acceptance that for some reason there will always be old systems and bins full of computer parts lurking around our house.  I think having a techy husband is more beneficial than negative anyways. He can fix practically anything electronic himself and we always have the latest gadgetry, which can be entertaining.  Mind you the savings from him doing our repairs are certainly lost on the gadgetry and then some.
I’m still hoping however that he finishes whatever it is he is doing with this latest system soon and that it and its assorted paraphernalia disappears from the desk shortly.