Hey DJ Play That Song

Both Sarah and I tend to be practical. This is not a bad thing but gift giving tends to be a challenge sometimes when trying to be practical. We have even opted for not swapping gifts or buying something we needed for the house (a television, for example) instead of a gift.

The last couple of years, however, we decided to make an effort to buy each other something for our birthdays and at Christmas. We work our butts of all year long - both at home and in the office. We should treat each other with something - it doesn't have to be an iPhone or laptop every year, but something to say "hey, we work hard, we can afford it..."

With that said, it can still be tough to find a nice gift which will be appreciated and put to use, especially as we get older. Aren't parents and other adults over thirty-five the hardest people to buy for? Sarah and I usually try to get each other at least one thing that was not on the list and then get some suggestions. Sarah isn't a golfer and has no ideas what I have in my golf bag, so I would tell her I could use a pair of golf shoes, for example.

When the question of what to give came up this past Christmas, I suggested a turntable which converts vinyl records to digital. I got my wish with an Ion USB Turntable which, eight months later, I finally set-up and starting using.








I did some dee jaying for a few years back in the late 80's, early 90's - mostly for family and friends, but I did end up with quite a collection. I have about five or six milk crates filled with mostly 12 inch singles which I am glad I have kept. Most of my collection is hip-hop, disco,pop and rap. I think one of the first 12 " singles I got was from a girlfriend - Paula Abdul's Forever Your Girl! I must admit that replaying these classic tunes while converting them to MP3 digital has been fun.






Some tunes I have converted include Miami Sound Machine's Bad Boy, Pump Up The Volume by Marrs, Finally by Ce Ce Peniston and Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince.



I only have about one hundred or so more to convert...maybe by the end of the year this project will be complete!

Things the girls say:
After taking Emily on a quick errand with me (according to Emily everything takes so L O N G) to pick up some batteries, she said "...you are a real fast battery-picker-outer, Daddy!"

Workout log: Rest day - no workout today.