Lunch

I am not a fan of making school lunches. It is way too hard to convince my pre-coffee brain that putting in the effort to make unique and good lunches each day is really that important. It’s so very easy to fall into the habit of packing the same thing day in and day out. I rarely get complaints from the kids so I can’t be doing to bad and it is always nutritious even if sometimes monotonous.
Of course each and every year and several times throughout the year I vow to start making lunches before heading off to bed even though it never actually happens; or at least not for more than a few days. I always find by the end of the day I’m just too tired to bother. I keep going back to doing it half asleep and semi-focused in the morning.
One part of lunches that I’ve enjoyed the past couple of years however is writing the girls a little message or drawing a little picture and sending it in their lunch.  I’ve done this many different ways on little slips of paper on the edge of a juice box, in the skin of a banana or any other way I can think of.  They are very simple notes of love and encouragement or a silly little joke.   
After hearing from both girls how disappointed they have been to not find any notes in their lunch kits so far this year I’ve realized just how much they have come to love them as well. I also found out that E has saved most of the paper ones I’ve sent and just how much she loves the little joke cards.  She apparently likes to share them with her friends.
So it appears there is one more thing I need to remember to send.   So I decided rather than try to remember each morning, when I dont' remember much I would make a stack of little note cards to send them over the next few weeks rather than do it every day.  Joke ones that flip up to show the punch line for E and very simple pictures and notes for A.  
Hope it keeps them both smiling.