Smile

Sorry for such a late post however I’ve been having issues with blogger and haven’t been able to get it to post.  I’ve been having problems with comments here and elsewhere for the past 2 weeks as well but this was the first time I couldn’t post at all.
Anyways I went out with a friend to a movie last night and we separated for a few moments when we came in to each get our popcorn and I happened to notice a girl next in line staring fixedly at the cell phone in her hand.  I watched as she stepped up to the counter glanced up mumbled #3 and went back to her phone and whatever it was she was doing.
She managed to go through the rest of the transaction without another word, she wasn't consciously being rude she just seemed utterly disconnected from those around her or the boy right in front of her.  She looked at the clerk as no more than an ATM for popcorn and pop.  She didn’t really see him at all.
So I looked around at others nearby and I noticed there seemed to be quite a few of these people, people who seemed distracted and disconnected focused either inward or on something really anything but on those right infront of them. 
It bothers me, how is it so many people have forgotten or perhaps never known how much better a day can be with those little niceties of day to day interaction?  A simple hello and a moment of actual attention takes no real effort yet subtly shifts a routine moment to what is still a routine moment but a more pleasant one.
You can bet if each and every person gave the people behind the counter a smile and a moments notice their night would be a better one.  The job wouldn’t change they would be doing the same thing yet it would still be better. 
So I promise always to remember to give a smile and say thanks whenever someone helps me even if they are being paid to do it.  It costs me nothing but might get me a smile in return and I've just realized how important that really is.