Mmmm Cookies


The perfect chocolate chip cookie is soft, it's sweet, and it melts in your mouth and is sinfully delicious.  I've been lucky enough to find one such recipe that is just right and I have been making it for years.  They are by far my favorite cookie as well as my kids and has become part of many a friends's cookie repertoire.
It is a cookie that without fail turns out just right even slightly burnt they still taste pretty darn good with a glass of milk. It’s a very simple and classic recipe which doesn’t have any funny ingredients or odd steps in it; sometimes simplicity is the best ingredient of all.  
I definitely make these cookies more often than any other kind.  Sure I’ve tried different recipes for chocolate chip cookies and I make many other different types but I always come back to this one.  It is the cookie by which all other cookies are judged.
Since my husband was diagnosed as diabetic and our lives have gotten increasingly busy I don’t bake as often as I once did. So it’s been some time since I made these but both girls have been asking daily for me to make some for about two weeks and last night I finally did.
Now I got a little distracted at one point as I was watching a movie from the breakfast bar while making them and I had a little oopsie.  What I did was to add the chocolate chips before the butter and before mixing at all. Normally I would mix the dough with the butter before adding the chocolate chips.
You wouldn’t think it would make that big a difference however I melt the butter before pouring it in so what happened is that I poured a cup of quite hot butter over a pile of chocolate chips which being chocolate melted quite thoroughly.  My mistake was quite evident the moment I turned on the mixer and the dough turned a much different colour than normal.
Realizing my mistake I simply added more chocolate chips and so ended up with chocolate chocolate chip cookies. To quote Richard Scarry, best mistake ever.