Shipwrecks

What a great weekend I’ve had. First and foremost what made it a great weekend were the friends we spent it with, followed closely by the Dragon Boat Festival.  We somehow found time to go out for dinner one night, had friends for dinner another had a nice bonfire and even pulled out the telescope for some stargazing.  All in all quite a busy exciting weekend.

Dragon boat was a highlight for me as it went much better than expected. This is our team, the shipwrecks first year and we were also one of the few teams which had 18 paddlers rather than a full crew of 20 so we didn’t expect to have great placement.  We were all OK with that though as we were out there to just to have fun and we certainly did do that. 
Come the final day of the festival our team headed over for our final heat and were informed that we were racing so late in the day because we were one of the top 6 teams. We were all absolutely shocked none of us had any idea we had done so well.
Over 130 teams and us a small group of first years made top 6, it’s still somewhat surreal. I’m so proud of our team for finding the right rhythm and pulling hard together to do so well. 
I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy being on a team working together for a common goal.  It's been a long time since I participated in a group sport and I'm so glad I did I can't wait for next year to do it again.