A Musical Note


I picked up front row tickets this weekend for Matt Dusk who is coming to perform in Winnipeg in a few weeks.   He is a Canadian Jazz singer I’ve really enjoyed listening to for the past few years and I’m really looking forward to the show.  I love jazz and the old big band style music and he ranks pretty high on my list of favorite singers for this type of music. Number one will of course always be Ol’ Blue Eyes. My favorite song is "One For my Baby"  and Matt Dusk has made a cover of it. It can't compare to Frank Sinatra but I really do enjoy it.   


It’s funny as a teenager I would have said rock and roll or go home.  I still enjoy what I suppose is now known as classic rock but I’m not limited to it. I hate hearing when a DJ announces “an old song but a good song” and then realize it’s one of my favorites that I can clearly remember being released.  I’m not old, so why is the music I listen to considered old or classic?  The 80’s weren’t that long ago. Ok maybe they were.  I suppose it doesn’t help that a lot of my favorite music is as far back as the turn of the century.  Scott Joplin’s The Entertainer anyone?
My girls are the biggest reminder of how much music has really changed.  They don’t quite get what a record or cassette is.  A few months ago we had gone to pick up some stuff for costumes at a thrift store and I overheard A ask E what a 45 record was.  She responded with “it’s what old people listened to music on, it’s just a big CD”.  Face meet palm. I still have some records in a box somewhere.  
Lurking in the back of the storage room is a big box of old media. It’s full of VHS tapes, cassettes, records and CDs.  They have all been relegated to storage as obsolete and unneeded. I’m not sure why we keep them I haven’t pulled out that box in years and even if I did I wouldn’t have anything to play them on. I think my walkman may be in the box although I recall it had a tendency to eat tapes.    
 I think I should stop thinking about music for awhile before I start talking about how music has changed and how it’s not like it used to be, etc ,etc. Then I’ll really make myself feel out of touch.