Hang up

I went grocery shopping last night at Superstore and the woman in front of me at the checkout was chatting away on her phone.  She was completely oblivious to the cashier who had finished checking her items and was trying to get her attention for payment.  She finally realized the cashier was waiting handed over her money and accepted her change without a single word.  Well at least not to the cashier she had plenty to say to her friend, mostly about how annoying grocery shopping is.
As the cashier started to check my items and we exchanged normal little pleasantries like civilized people the other woman finished her phone conversation and then in a very angry voice asked why the cashier hadn’t asked if she needed bags.  Of course she had asked but had been ignored. The cashier tried to remain pleasant and simply asked her how many she needed.  The customer responded with at least ten or eleven.
Superstore charges 5 cents for each bag.  Now they will give you a bag here and there if you underestimated how many you need or suddenly realize you should have gotten one but I suppose ten is pushing it. As the cashier counted out bags she asked the customer if she had 50 cents. This resulted in indignant cries about how it wasn’t her fault the cashier hadn’t asked before she paid. 
I couldn’t help myself and I spoke up.  I hate seeing people treat retail staff or anyone else for that matter like garbage.  I told her she shouldn’t blame the cashier for her own rudeness, if she had put her phone down for 5 seconds and made an attempt at being polite she would have heard the cashier ask. I got the expected response of an indignant “why I never” but she clearly looked contrite and handed over the 50 cents. 
It always amazes me how inconsiderate people can be when it comes to cell phones.  Some people are completely oblivious and happily chat away loudly disturbing and ignoring others without a second thought.   Sure I use my cell phone in public but I try to always remain conscience of those around me and be unobstrusive.  I think it is simple common courtesy.  I’m glad I spoke up maybe next time this woman will think twice about ignoring a cashier and remember to say thank you instead.