Whoops

What a way to kick off the morning. The city just dug out the ditches on our street, but the culverts are all frozen so now the ditches look something like this. Massive ridges of snow on each side of a 3 ft chasm filled with ice cold water.  
Now you wouldn’t think that is such a big deal but there is one little problem. In order to walk the dog I need to get to the far side of the ditch. It’s not that big a stretch if you pick the right spot but it can still be a challenge to make that leap from one side to the other.
Didn’t quite make it this morning while heading back home,  I ended up with one foot firmly planted on the sloping edge of the ditch and the other up to my knee in ice cold water. By using the dogs leash as an anchor I was just able to stop myself from going down on my but. Thank goodness we have a big dog. 
Did I mention the thick crust of ice on top of the water? Somehow it seemed the hole my foot made going in was much too small to pull my foot back out.  It took a couple of real good yanks to pull it free, the dog helped out there too, he was hauling back on his leash for all he was worth.  I'm under no illusions that he was actually trying to save me. For a retriever he is an awful big suck around water and i know he was just trying to keep his own ass dry.
Hours later and I’m still cold.  Despite hot coffee, warm clothes, slippers and a blanket I’ve got a chill I just can’t shake.  It really is a lot easier to get cold then it is to warm up. 
Stupid spring.