Dentist Appointment :-(

Well I finally can’t avoid the dentist any longer.  My back tooth has been a problem for years and the last time I saw the dentist he told me to book an appointment to get it pulled. Well saying tooth pulled to me kind of made me panic and I haven’t made an appointment since.  I think that was about 2 ½ years ago.
When I was about 5 years old my brother pushed me while I was sitting on the counter and I knocked out both my front teeth on the bathroom tap.  I don’t remember it too clearly but I do remember the dentist wasn’t particularly gentle and he had to pull the last bit of one out and all I remember from that is how bloody much it hurt. Thankfully they were baby teeth, but it took a long time for the adult ones to come in, and clearly I shouldn’t have lost the baby ones so early. 
I’ve been nervous with the dentist ever since.  Rather than have it get easier to see the dentist as I’ve gotten older it has gotten progressively worse, particularly when it comes to the thought of having a tooth pulled.  I’ve avoided the dentist more and more even though I know that wasn’t going to help. I now have a panic attack at the thought of going in. I don’t get panic attacks dealing with anything else in life just the dentist.
I even feel anxious and panicky taking the girls for their appointments and refuse to go in the room with them.  I imagine my nervousness would only make them develop the same fear I have.   They both handle the dentist well and I don’t want to change that.
Honestly I have to say I’m somewhat ashamed of this fear. The rational part of me is pissed right off that I can’t get over it.  I know my current dentist is a good one and he’s never caused me any pain and I know he won’t really hurt me but I can’t shake the fear.
Yesterday a big chunk of my back tooth fell out and now it keeps bleeding, I can’t stand to eat anything and despite both Advil and Tylenol it won’t stop throbbing with pain and it is getting more and more swollen. I made an emergency appointment and will be going to see the dentist in a few hours.  
I want nothing more than to back out, I’ve dealt with minor pain in that tooth for a long time and a part of me is desperately trying to convince myself that somehow it will get better on its own and that it isn’t that bad.  I know it won’t just go away and I’ll go but I don’t have to be happy about it. I’m already shaking and I don’t think I’m going to get through this with much grace or dignity.