Dance Partners


I often play music when in the kitchen or doing chores around the house and once in awhile my husband and I will stop whatever it is that we are doing and dance together.  Nothing fancy just a really long swaying hug accompanied by music. Our kids will look at us as if we have gone insane and say “eww that’s gross”. You can tell they don’t really mean it though. They have a certain light in their eyes that tells me that they may think it is gross but they also like seeing and knowing that they have parents who honestly love each other.
Some people probably think that it is a little silly but those few moments taken out of our busy lives are precious.  I think divorce rates would be lower if all couples stopped and danced together once in awhile.  Dancing connects us, brings us closer and makes us fall in love a bit more each time. It is a few moments to let go of everything else and just be together. I honestly believe it to be a part of why we are still such a strong couple.  It strips away the years and reminds us of why we started to love each other in the first place.
I feel blessed to have found someone who will dance with me even if it’s only in my own kitchen. It reminds me that I have a partner who will dance with me at any time or place and who will take each step with me in the biggest dance of all.  The dance called life.
 The steps may not always be graceful and we may occasionally stumble but we always hold on to one another and help the other to find their footing.  Sometimes he leads and sometimes I lead, once in awhile no one leads at all we simply move as one.  We have even stepped on each other’s feet from time to time but we always muddle our way through to the next step. 
It may only be a metaphor but I think there is something to it. It’s these types of moments in life that we remember and that make all the routine ones worthwhile.  I dance with our kids as does my husband and I’m certain they will always remember it. I dance with them to big band music swinging and spinning them around.  They love it and they love dancing with their Dad to the slower songs standing on his feet. 
Well whether dancing really is a part of what keep us as a couple and a family happy or not doesn’t really matter.  Maybe it’s the other way around and we dance because we’re already happy to begin with. I don’t know but we will certainly keep doing it.  If you have someone important in your life and have never danced with them in your own kitchen or if it has been a long time I really recommend you give it a try. It is definitely worth the effort.