Paper Boats


This is one of my favorite pictures of E. She was not quite 4 when this picture was taken and I can't seem to say what exactly makes this picture special it just is. I love her hair and the small hint of toddler left. There is something in the angle of her stance and the clasped hands that seems very sweet. It appears to be and was a very peaceful and content moment.

Ever since this picture was taken making and sailing paper boats has become a spring tradition. Each year we spend some time making and sailing boats in the puddles of melting snow. It is a fun way to welcome in spring.  We expect the boats to fall apart eventually but seeing how long you can make them last is part of the fun. Some boats simply collapse as they come in contact with water and some seem to last forever. The smallest change in shape can make them catch the wind and speed across a puddle while others simply topple.  

I know the years of paper boats won’t be around forever but while they are here I plan on enjoying them. I won’t surprise me if this is the last year I can convince E to join in. She is quickly turning into an angsty teen who would rather chat with her friends them play some silly game with Mom.  Right now I can still cajole her into playing along and having fun with silly little things like this but I don’t know how much longer bugging her to join in will work.

I'm sure to have a few years left with A but even for her the excitment of paper boats isn't quite the same as the toddler and preschool years when it was completly new. She still very much enjoys it and is looking foward to making some this year but it's is no longer quite so amazing.